Sunday, November 11, 2007

Lord for the years

Lord, for the years Your love has kept and guided
Urged and inspired us, cheered us on our way
Sought us and saved us, pardoned and provided
Lord of the years, we bring our thanks today

Lord, for that Word, the Word of life which fires us
Speaks to our hearts and sets our souls ablaze
Teaches and trains, rebukes us and inspires us
Lord of the Word, receive Your people’s praise

Lord, for our land in this our generation
Spirits oppressed by pleasure, wealth and care
For young and old, for commonwealth and nation
Lord of our land, be pleased to hear our prayer

Lord, for our world where men disown and doubt You
Loveless in strength, and comfortless in pain
Hungry and helpless, lost indeed without You
Lord of the world, we pray that Christ may reign

Lord for ourselves; in living power remake us
Self on the cross, and Christ upon the throne
Past put behind us, for the future take us
Lord of our lives, to live for Christ alone


Hours after the last notes of “Lord For The Years” rung through the sanctuary of Petaling Jaya Gospel Hall this evening, its words still play on loud and clear in my ears. Indeed, many agreed that it was a very apt closing congregational hymn for the dedication service of our new church building.

For me, apart from being totally bowled over hearing tonight’s 500+ strong congregation sing this rousing anthem in celebration and remembrance of the Lord’s goodness to us as a church, and also in re-dedication of our lives to him, it also caused me to think again about God’s goodness and faithfulness in my own personal life, and how too I really ought to re-dedicate my life to Him.

The Lord indeed has been so good and has provided in ways that have amazed me, especially this year. Unfortunately upon reflection, on my part, I realised that I certainly haven’t done enough justice in being thankful to Him for His bountiful provision.

Today’s church dedication service somehow brought that back into perspective, and I am thankful that it did. The Lord’s love has indeed kept and guided us all these years, cheering and inspiring us all along the way to do great things for Him. And here we stand today, as the church of Petaling Jaya Gospel Hall some 48 years on, with so much to look forward to as we move ahead into the future.

Today, here I stand, exactly 6 years today since I passed through the waters of baptism, being reminded of God’s abounding goodness. I’m actually smiling to myself typing this =)

Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me.

No comments: